Retrieval Relay: A great collaborative recall task. Pupils fill in everything they can remember then pass onto their peers who fill in everything they can remember without repeating anything already written. With thanks to @87History
This activity is excellent for promoting retrieval practice as pupils collaborate to gather knowledge. The extra challenge comes in not being able to repeat anything that their peers have already written. Pupils enjoy the collaboration and find it helpful to see elements of the topic that they'd forgotten, highlighting the need for consolidation.
- Pupils complete the first box, recalling and writing down everything they can remember on the chosen topic.
- Pupils pass on their sheet to one of their peers. Their peer uses the second box to fill in everything they can remember without repeating anything that's already been written.
- The sheet is then passed onto another peer. They too must fill in everything they can remember on this topic without repeating anything that has already been written.
- Repeat the process again for the final box.
Differentiation / Extension:
- Add a time limit to each relay
- Can be used as a start or plenary