What will I learn?
During this course, pupils will be introduced to the world of small businesses and will look at what makes someone a successful business person. They will find out how to develop an idea and spot an opportunity, and turn that into a successful business. They will understand how to make a business effective and manage money well. They will also see how the world around us affects small businesses and all the people involved.
The course will be supported by trips to businesses so that pupils can see how the theory they have learnt is applied in real situations. Pupils will also take part in practical lessons which will allow them to act out the roles of various business people. Pupils can also take advantage of the Young Enterprise activity offered at school.
A GCSE in this subject could lead to work in a business-related profession such as accountancy, economics, law, marketing or the leisure and tourism industry.
Pupils will develop the following skills during the course:
- Practical skills – time management, personal organisation and action planning
- Presentational skills – addressing audiences using a variety of media and forms
- Personal skills – showing evidence of progression
- Interpersonal skills – communication and group work
- Cognitive skills – reflection and review of own and others’ performances
Unit 1 - Introduction to small businesses – 25% of final grade
Unit 2 - Controlled assessment – 25% of final grade
Unit 3 - Building a business – 50% of final grade